Pre-Operative Instructions to Patients
This information sheet has been prepared to assist you in understanding how to prepare for your surgical procedure. Many of the common questions that patients ask have been answered below. This will help you to understand what to do to make the process as simple and stress-free as possible. If you are taking a supplement (even if it is “natural”, please check with me. Also review this list of supplements to be avoided before surgery. It is important that you read this information carefully and completely.
The Day before Surgery
- Please contact my office to validate your arrival time at the hospital or the rooms. In general, you will need to be at the hospital at least 2 hours before the scheduled time of your surgery.
- Please do not shave near your surgical site. Shaving can irritate your skin, which may lead to infection. If required, a de-epilator cream or a mechanical hair clipper may be used.
- Please check that all the documents that are required for admission are correctly filled in and brought with you to hospital – this will expedite your admission process.
- Very importantly, the anaesthetist’s and surgeon’s consent must be filled in and brought to hospital. You will not be allowed into theatre without these documents.
The Day of Surgery
- Unless otherwise specified, please take your routine or other medicines on the morning of surgery. You may take any oral medication with a small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth and have a small sip of water afterwards.
- You may not consume any type of food for 6 hours prior to your scheduled time of surgery. You may drink small volumes of water or clear juice or black tea, up to 2 hours prior to your surgery.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing and flat shoes. Wear front buttoning clothing in preference to items which need to be pulled over the head.
- Leave all jewellery and other valuables at home. If you wear contact lenses, please do not insert them on the morning of surgery, wear your glasses instead.
- Please remove any body piercings, if possible.
- Please arrive at the hospital at the specified time.
- Because of the nature of surgery as well as the possibility of the addition of urgent cases, there may be a delay in the start of your surgery or, your start time could be earlier than expected if last minute cancellations occur. Please be understanding and courteous to other patients. If possible, bring something to read and arrive early.
Finally, please contact the Office if you have any concerns or questions